Home           German        Spanish
Congregatio Jesu

Where We Are



Korea Mongolia China Nepal Israel/Palestine Zimbabwe Chile Argentina Brazil India mapEurope map Display the Europe map Display the India map Cuba


Europe Roman Generalate | Germany | Austria | Italy | England | Spain | Hungary | Slovakia | Czech Republic | Ukraine | Russia | Romania
Asia India - Patna | India - Allahabad | India - Delhi | India - Bangalore | Nepal | Korea | China | Mongolia | Israel/Palestine
America Brazil | Chile | Argentina | Cuba
Africa Zimbabwe

Israel/Palestine, Asia
Address Congregatio Jesu
  Schmidt’s Girls College
  Nablus Road 2
  P.O.B. 19 070
Tel +972 2 6267 800
Fax +972 2 6272 397
Email paulushaus@heilig-land-verein.de

The Damascus Gate from the terrace of Paulushaus
There has been a CJ community in East Jerusalem since 1989. The CJ community is international and comes under the Roman Generalate.
Schmidt Girls’ School and the Paulus Pilgrim’s House were established by the Deutscher Verein vom Heiligen Lande, a Trust of the Archdiocese of Cologne, in 1886 and 1908 respectively. Originally, both ministries were in the hands of the Borromean sisters until the CJ were invited to assume responsibility.
Since then there have been two CJ head teachers of Schmidt’s, and in 2005 the leadership of the school passed to a lay head. The school is now recognized as a German school overseas. The responsibility for Paulushaus, a large guest house immediately opposite the Damascus Gate, remains in the hands of the CJ.
The international status of East Jerusalem as territory occupied by Israel makes this a complex mission area. The pupils of the school are Palestinian girls of either Christian or Muslim faith. Since the building of the Wall most live within the confines of East Jerusalem. The sisters are involved in a variety of ministries, hospitality, teaching and pastoral work.